Munoz's goal the difference for Goretti

September 26, 2008|By LARRY YANOS

Striker Hugo Munoz snapped a 2-2 tie Thursday with a goal midway through the second half, lifting the host St. Maria Goretti boys soccer team to a 3-2 win over No. 4 Williamsport on Thursday.

The teams exchanged first-half goals, before Williamsport (4-4) grabbed a 2-1 advantage when Jonathan Adams scored on an assist from Edwin Reyes in the 45th minute.

Not to be denied, Goretti (4-5-1) evened matters on Thomas Blake's goal in the 61st minute on an assist from Alex Bolinger. The Gaels then claimed the verdict when Munoz kicked the ball past Williamsport goalie Derek Munro on another assist by Bolinger.

"We stayed aggressive, kept hustling and came through with a big win," Goretti coach Marty Wills said.

"We tried to stretch the field today and control the outside," Wills said. "We received contributions from a number of players."


While Munoz kicked the game-winner, David Applebaum posted a first-half score in an empty goal. Williamsport goalkeeper Munro collided with a Goretti player in a scramble in front of the net, fell to the ground and the goal was left unprotected. And Applebaum took advantage of the situation.

Wills also praised the work of sophomore goalkeeper Ben Denning and striker and midfielder Nic Martin.

"This is Ben's first start in goal and he played well," Wills said. "Nic has been the goalkeeper but he's so valuable at the other positions, I decided to make the move."

Williamsport, suffering its second straight defeat since capturing the Washington County Public Schools tournament title, received goals from midfielder Michael Reyes and Adams but that was the extent of the offensive damage.

"We didn't have it today, didn't get it done," Williamsport coach Chris Downs said. "I thought after the first half we had a chance to win, but St. Maria Goretti was just a little better. Adams and Mark Oliver played well. Right now, we just have to regroup and get ready for Boonsboro next week."

The Herald-Mail Articles