Waynesboro man found dead after standoff at Greencastle mobile home park

September 10, 2008|By KATE S. ALEXANDER

GREENCASTLE, Pa. -- A five-hour standoff in Greencastle on Tuesday between Pennsylvania State Police and a Waynesboro, Pa., man ended when the man was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

The man, identified by police as Richard A. Patterson Jr., 30, was found dead at the scene by the Pennsylvania State Police Special Emergency Response Team after he held his ex-girlfriend and her mother hostage in an Antrim Township mobile home at 3862 Grosh Drive over what was believed to be a domestic dispute, police said.

Grosh Drive is off of Kuhn Road, which connects to Sportsmans Road northwest of Greencastle.

Trooper Karl Schmidhamer, public information officer with the Pennsylvania State Police, said Patterson died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound not long after he called police to report that he was holding hostage his ex-girlfriend, Letitia Shreves, and her mother, Catherine R. Byrd, 49.

Police said Patterson called to report the incident around 3:15 p.m.


Mark Shreves and his wife, who is Patterson's sister, and his father, James Shreves, came to the scene after receiving a call from Letitia Shreves asking for someone to come down and "get her out."

Police said the women were able to make it out of the trailer safely and into a protected area.

Not long after the women were out of the residence, police said shots were fired. One of the shots is believed to be the self-inflicted one that killed Patterson, Schmidhamer said.

Mark Shreves said his sister Letitia and her mother were shaken by the incident, but managed to keep him informed of what was happening as the night unfolded.

Patterson allegedly had broken into Byrd's trailer, bound her and "roughed her up" before confronting Letitia Shreves and breaking into a cabinet for a rifle, Mark Shreves said.

"Mom said she knew he was not himself because his face was all swollen like he was on some kind of drug," he said.

Police said the incident likely stemmed from a domestic dispute on Sunday between Letitia Shreves and Patterson.

Patterson came to the trailer park Sunday to confront his ex-girlfriend about their recent breakup, police said.

Mark Shreves said Letitia Shreves told Patterson that she would keep their four children from him and that made him "snap" and start to damage items in the home.

By Tuesday at 7 p.m., police said they believed Patterson still was armed and barricaded in the trailer.

Not long after the police updated the family on the situation, the Special Emergency Response Team entered the residence and found Patterson.

The news of Patterson's death was met with tears from family members who waited patiently for hours for word on their loved ones.

Letitia Shreves had kept her father, James Shreves, and her brother, Mark, apprised of the incident by cell phone as it unfolded.

Her final call dropped her father to his knees as he wept.

Mark Shreves said Patterson was the father of four young children.

View Larger Map

The Herald-Mail Articles