HAGERSTOWN -- A Sunday morning fire gutted Rocky's University New York Pizza on the Public Square, forcing the shop to close indefinitely and inspiring a push by the community to raise money for repairs.
The fire, which was reported at 5:40 a.m., damaged the pizzeria's equipment, wiring, plumbing, flooring, ceiling and air-conditioning system, owner Vinnie DiCola said Sunday. He estimated the fire caused about $150,000 in damage.
"The whole pizza shop is shot," DiCola said. "Everything's burnt to a crisp."
DiCola said the fire was accidental and might have been caused by equipment being left on.
DiCola, who lives in an apartment above the pizzeria, said he smelled the smoke before the smoke detector went off, got his roommate up and got out of the building. His Dalmatian was rescued by a firefighter who accessed the apartment by ladder, DiCola said.
All units of the Hagerstown Fire Department responded to the fire and firefighters were on the scene until about 8 a.m., Hagerstown Fire Department Chief Gary Hawbaker said. In addition to the damage to the restaurant, there was smoke damage to the upper floors, Hawbaker said.