Lieutenant governor's cousin killed in shooting

Hagerstown man also dead

August 26, 2008|By ERIN JULIUS

HAGERSTOWN -- A man who on Saturday fatally shot a woman in Montgomery County, Md., and then was shot to death by police was a Hagerstown resident, Montgomery County Police said Monday.

The woman was identified Monday as Catherine Brown, 40, the cousin of Maryland Lt. Gov. Anthony Brown.

Police identified her assailant as Michael Keith Wilson, 44, of the 11800 block of Peacock Trail in Hagerstown.

Wilson had been holding Catherine Brown, his ex-girlfriend, against her will in a garage at a home in the 9400 block of Vineyard Haven Drive in Montgomery Village near Gaithersburg, Montgomery County Police said in a press release.

Officers were talking to Wilson in an attempt to calm the situation when shots were fired, the release says.

Wilson shot Brown, and in turn was shot by police, officers said in the release. Both died at the scene.

Wilson's gun was found next to his body, according to the release.


Anthony Brown returned home Monday from the Democratic National Convention in Denver.

He learned of his cousin's death Sunday, shortly after arriving in Denver, the lieutenant governor said in a statement.

"I leave my fellow delegates with a heavy heart, and I ask that everyone keep my family in their prayers," Brown said in a statement released Monday by his office.

Wilson was employed as a private security guard at Washington National Cathedral in Washington, D.C., and Catherine Brown was a teacher at the Beauvoir School on cathedral grounds, police said.

Officers on Monday were still trying to determine why Wilson shot Brown.

On Monday morning, neighbors on Peacock Trail remembered Wilson as a quiet man. His death came as a shock, one man said.

Neighbors said they thought he worked as a police officer near Washington, D.C.

One man thought he had seen Wilson only once since the family moved in last fall, he said.

"He seemed like a nice guy," another man said.

A woman and a teenage boy also lived at the home, neighbors said.

At one point Monday morning, small children were running around in the front yard of the brick house.

Asked whether it was Wilson's home, a man who answered the door Monday morning said the woman who lived there was not up to talking.

The Herald-Mail Articles