Advertisement

UPDATE: One couple evacuated from Hancock motel allowed to leave town

August 22, 2008|By ERIN JULIUS

HANCOCK -- At least one couple evacuated from the America's Best Value Inn on Wednesday night when a standoff with police began got their belongings on Friday and were able to leave Hancock.

A Maryland State Police trooper on Friday afternoon got the Ohio couple's car from the motel parking lot and drove it onto the bridge. Inside the car was the luggage of Mary Lou Bender of Euclid, Ohio, and Doug Collin of Kirtland, Ohio.

The two were on their way to Tilghman Island, Md., to visit their son. They had wanted to continue their trip, but were unable to leave because their car was in the parking lot their luggage remained locked in their room. They spent Thursday night at a nearby Super 8 motel.

Those evacuated from the motel had to leave their belongings in their rooms when they were told to leave, said another motel guest, Bender said. They weren't even allowed to "grab stuff" as they went out the door, she said.

Advertisement

Another of those who had been staying at the motel said he saw the man holed up in the motel three days earlier.

Charlie Wright, 46, of Baltimore, checked into the America's Best Value Inn on Saturday night. He said that he saw James A. Prevatt III, who is wanted in four states on burglary in larceny charges, on Sunday.

He described Prevatt as "scraggly looking," with tattoos on his arms and dirty blond hair.

Wright said he did not see the woman who is in the room with Prevatt. Police have identified her as Renee Reynolds, 21.

Wright and others who were evacuated from the motel Wednesday night said Friday they were becoming increasingly frustrated with the situation.

Wright said he wished police would "just kick in the door" to Prevatt's room.

Wright was barefoot when he left the motel and had to buy shoes from a local dollar store, he said.

On Thursday night, state troopers went into the Wrights' room to retrieve prescription medicine for Wright's wife from her luggage, he said.

Guests' cell phones were dying because their battery chargers were left behind, he said.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|