Funkstown home invasion case moves forward

August 20, 2008|By ERIN JULIUS

HAGERSTOWN -- A Hagerstown man who detectives say covered his head with underwear to mask his face during a June home invasion saw his case forwarded Tuesday to Washington County Circuit Court.

Jeffrey Wayne Haynes, 23, of 115 Catawba Place, Apt. 3, in Hagerstown, was charged with first-degree burglary, first-degree assault and other crimes.

Mark Anthony Summerville, 23, of 1012 Pope Ave., also was charged in connection with the home invasion. His case already was forwarded to circuit court.

One of the robbers pointed a handgun at a 3-year-old's head and threatened to kill her during the invasion, Washington County Sheriff's Department Detective Greg Alton said.


Washington County District Court Judge Ralph H. France II after Tuesday's hearing found probable cause to forward the case, saying it was unacceptable to point weapons at a child's head.

Alton testified Tuesday, as he did during Summerville's preliminary hearing on July 29. Alton responded the morning of June 28 to a report of armed, masked men who forced a woman to open a safe in her home, he testified.

Brenda Lee Debow, 48, contacted the sheriff's department at about 4 a.m. June 28 and said two armed, masked men had broken into her home in the 300 block of South Antietam Street in Funkstown.

Debow's 22-year-old daughter told police she was watching TV in the living room when a man in a mask opened the door and pointed a gun at her. One of the men forced her facedown on the couch while the other went back to her mother's bedroom, Alton testified Tuesday during Haynes' preliminary hearing. Debow heard her daughter calling for help, and she started to leave the room when she encountered one of the intruders, Alton said.

The man told Debow to open her safe and also threatened to kill Debow's entire family if she went to police, he said.

After going to the sheriff's department, Debow immediately suggested that Haynes, one of her son's friends, might have been involved in the robbery, Alton said. Debow had recently bought the safe, which Haynes helped move into the home, he testified.

Officers searched the home Haynes lived in with his girlfriend, and found pills and prescription bottles, Alton testified. Haynes' girlfriend also gave investigators the pair of underwear Haynes wore on his head during the robbery, Alton said.

New information was revealed during Tuesday's hearing. One of the robbers dropped a weapon as he was leaving the home, Alton testified under questioning by defense attorney Edward Button.

Debow retrieved the weapon but did not turn it over to police. Instead, she gave it to her son, who gave the loaded gun to someone he knew at a bar, Alton testified.

Haynes and Summerville were being held Tuesday night at the Washington County Detention Center, a deputy said.

The Herald-Mail Articles