Man charged with destruction of property while performing community service

August 13, 2008|By DAVE McMILLION

CHARLES TOWN, W.VA. -- A Shepherdstown, W.Va., man who was involved in the March 30 break-in at Jefferson High School has been charged with destruction of property after he defaced a bathroom stall in the new Washington High School while performing community service there, police said.

Lucca Fiorenzo Fleri, 18, of 156 Willis Drive, was arraigned Monday and released on a $5,000 personal recognizance bond, according to Jefferson County Magistrate Court records.

Fleri was sentenced to perform community service at the new high school off Huyett Road because of his role in the Jefferson High School incident, Detective A.F. Jenkins of the Charles Town Police Department said.

Jenkins said Tuesday night that she did not know if Fleri was charged in the Jefferson High incident since that investigation was handled by the Jefferson County Sheriff's Department.


Fleri told police he was doing his community service work at Washington High School on July 20 when he used a knife to deface a stall in the men's bathroom, according to a criminal complaint filed by Jenkins.

Fleri said he used the knife to make a heart with the number 15 inside to represent his and his girlfriend's anniversary date, the complaint said.

The destruction of property charge carries a possible punishment of up to a year in jail and/or a fine up to $2,500.

Fifteen former Jefferson High School seniors were charged with destruction of property, criminal trespassing and conspiracy after several individuals entered Jefferson High School on March 30 through a hatch on the roof, police said.

The individuals then let the rest of the group inside, police said.

Police said 600 desks were dragged into hallways, and some students wore masks and hoods to hide their identities.

Police also said 31 telephones were hidden, inappropriate comments in Spanish were written on a chalkboard and a teacher's grade book was burned in a microwave oven.

The break-in at the school north of Charles Town, W.Va., was part of a regular trend of a senior prank, but the incident went too far, school officials have said.

The Herald-Mail Articles