Waffle House shooter is sentenced to 1 year in jail

August 09, 2008

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - A 24-year-old man was sentenced Friday to one year in jail and ordered to pay $11,487 in restitution for shooting another man twice in the parking lot of the Waffle House just north of Martinsburg last summer.

Markus Alanzo Watts, aka "G," entered a guilty plea to one felony count of unlawful wounding as part of a plea agreement that was accepted in a hearing Friday morning by 23rd Judicial Circuit Judge Christopher C. Wilkes.

Court records listed Watts' address as 95 Amorette Drive in Berkeley County when he was arraigned four days after the shooting.

Wilkes said he had no objection to allowing the jail sentence to be served concurrently with a two-year sentence that Watts is serving at Maryland Correctional Institution south of Hagerstown.


Watts' attorney, Eric S. Black, said his client had been incarcerated in Washington County since December 2007 for an unrelated misdemeanor conviction for narcotics possession.

The restitution Watts is expected to pay is for the victim's medical bills for treatment for gunshot wounds to the leg and stomach. Watts also must pay court costs.

The victim, who was 28 at the time of the shooting, testified in Berkeley County Magistrate Court in September 2007 that he arrived at the Waffle House at 1807 Edwin Miller Blvd. about 4 a.m. on June 15, expecting a confrontation with Watts, according to a transcript of Watts' preliminary hearing.

The victim testified that he was aware that Watts had been talking with his ex-girlfriend in the days leading up the shooting and also supposedly had disrespected his sister before the confrontation, according to the transcript.

The victim testified that he arrived at the Waffle House with two of his roommates, who he said knew he going there to confront Watts. The victim said his sister also was there when he was shot, which happened as he walked toward Watts, according to the court transcript.

Police found two .40-caliber shell casings in the parking lot of the restaurant after responding to a report of shots fired.

The Herald-Mail Articles