· Josiah Ostoich, James Buchanan High School
· Kelby Reed, James Buchanan High School
The foundation awarded one-time scholarships of $1,000 each to 13 other finalists in the program. The Franklin County finalists are:
· Paul Mackey, Chambersburg Area Senior High School
· Christine Rice, Chambersburg Area Senior High School
· Miranda Snowberger, Waynesboro Area Senior High School.
· Elizabeth Strickler, Chambersburg Area Senior High School
· Rachel Woodring, Chambersburg Area Senior High School
· Meredith Woy, Chambersburg Area Senior High School
Scholarships were awarded based on a student's ambition to succeed at a challenging college or university, academic achievement and potential, commitment to service, leadership qualities and financial need.
The Lenfest College Scholarship Program is open to students in their junior year so the Lenfest Foundation can offer counseling on the college admissions and financial aid application processes.
Participating high schools include Chambersburg Area, Fannett-Metal, Greencastle-Antrim, James Buchanan and Waynesboro Area high schools in Franklin County, Biglerville, Bermudian Springs and New Oxford high schools in Adams County, Octorara Area High School in Chester County and Upper Perkiomen High School in Montgomery County.
In 2008, the seventh year of the scholarship program, 191 applications were submitted, a 15 percent increase over the previous year.
The Lenfest Foundation (www.lenfestfoundation.org) is dedicated to supporting programs that provide individuals of all ages and backgrounds with opportunities to help themselves improve the quality of their lives.
H.F. (Gerry) and Marguerite Lenfest established the foundation in 2000. The foundation supports the Lenfest College Preparatory Program, the Lenfest College Scholarship Program, the Lenfest Ocean Program and other programs in education, arts and culture, and the environment.