Man charged in Funkstown home invasion will face Circuit Court trial

July 30, 2008|By ERIN JULIUS

HAGERSTOWN -- A Hagerstown man who detectives say was involved in a June home invasion during which a handgun was pointed at a 3-year-old's head saw his case forwarded Tuesday to Washington County Circuit Court.

Mark Anthony Summerville, 23, of 1012 Pope Ave., and another man were charged with first-degree burglary, first- degree assault and other crimes in the home invasion, during which masked men stole prescription medicine and cash from a safe in a Funkstown home.

Jeffrey Wayne Haynes, 23, of 115 Catawba Place, Apt. 3, in Hagerstown, was also charged with first-degree burglary, first-degree assault and other crimes. He is scheduled to appear in Washington County District Court in August.

Washington County District Judge Ralph H. France II on Tuesday determined after a preliminary hearing that there was enough evidence to forward Summerville's case.


Washington County Sheriff's Department Detective Greg Alton responded the morning of June 28 to a report of armed, masked men who forced a woman to open a safe in her home, he testified Tuesday.

Brenda Lee Debow, 48, contacted the sheriff's department at about 4 a.m. on June 28 and said two armed, masked men had broken into her home in the 300 block of South Antietam Street in Funkstown.

Debow's 22-year-old daughter told police she was watching TV in the living room when a man in a mask opened the door and pointed a gun at her. One of the men forced her face down on the couch while the other went back to her mother's bedroom, Alton testified Tuesday during Summerville's preliminary hearing.

Debow heard her daughter calling for help, and she started to leave the room when she encountered one of the intruders, Alton said.

The man told Debow to open her safe, according to Alton's testimony.

"He held the handgun to the 3-year-old granddaughter's head," Alton testified.

The man also threatened to kill Debow's entire family if she went to police, he said.

Four bottles of prescription medication - including Percocet, OxyContin, a pain reliever and an anti-depressant - were taken from the safe, Alton testified. About $500 in cash also was taken.

One of the men struck Debow with the butt of his gun as they were leaving, Alton said.

Debow shared with detectives a voice-mail message she received June 28, during which someone she identified as Haynes could be heard telling someone that he had "done some crazy (expletive)" and was talking about a lot of pills, according to court documents.

The girlfriends of both Haynes and Summerville said the men were responsible for the incident, and both women said the men bragged about taking the medication and money, Alton said.

Under questioning by Assistant Public Defender John Maclean, Alton said that Summerville's girlfriend changed her story several times during an interview with the police.

Conviction of first-degree burglary carries a maximum sentence of 20 years in prison, and a first-degree assault conviction carries a maximum sentence of 25 years in prison upon conviction.

Summerville and Haynes were being held Tuesday at the Washington County Detention Center, a deputy said.

The Herald-Mail Articles