The 167th TFR Federal Credit Union held a ribbon-cutting ceremony for its new South Berkeley branch office May 13. The facility is the first in the Tabler Station Business Park, a project of the Berkeley County Development Authority.
The credit union was started May 27, 1959, with eight guardsmen pledging $5 each. In 1995, the credit union built a North Berkeley location that will continue to serve as the home office. The base office served members until December 21, 2007.
After the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks, it became difficult for nonmilitary personnel to access the base office. The vision of a new facility just outside the base gates became a long-term goal of volunteers and staff. The long process began shortly after the 2002 planning session.