Buildings at 2, 4 and 6 N. Main St., across from the Boone Hotel, were damaged by heat. As a safety precaution, firefighters broke out the windows of those buildings Friday morning because the glass had been cracked from the heat of the fire.
Two apartments on St. Paul Street, which intersects with North Main Street, also were damaged by the fire.
The library and town hall had smoke damage, Kauffman said. Officials couldn't determine the full extent of the damage until power was restored, he said.
The fire interrupted power in a five-block area of town, but Allegheny Power workers restored power by Friday at 7 p.m.
At least three families received help from the Washington County Chapter of the American Red Cross, said Mike Mowen, disaster specialist for the chapter. The Red Cross generally provides food, shelter and clothing during emergencies.