BOONSBORO -- Kindness has been a slight comfort for Susan Brubaker, who was burned out of her home by Friday's downtown fire in Boonsboro.
She had lived in an apartment at the rear of a building on Main Street for four years.
The building was one of several damaged by a fire that a state fire marshal has said started at the former Boone Hotel.
After a few free nights at a local hotel, Brubaker doesn't know where she will end up. She hopes to quickly find a new apartment she can afford.
"We'll make sure she has a place to lay her head," said her friend, Jeanne Ryan.
A regular customer at Classic Fuels at Lappans Crossroads, where Brubaker works, found her neighborhood, stopped in the middle of the road and handed her a $100 bill, according to Brubaker's sister, Jeani Sechler.