Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: HeraldMail HomeCollectionsWva

Discarded cigarette may have caused mobile home fire in Berkeley County

February 12, 2008

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - A discarded cigarette might have caused a fire that damaged a mobile home Monday afternoon, according to an officer with the Bedington Volunteer Fire Department.

Damage to the double-wide trailer at 342 Imperial Way in Midway Mobile Home Park was estimated at $15,000 to $20,000 by the department's Assistant Chief Andrew DeHaven.

No one was injured in the fire, which appeared to start in the kitchen after the owner left the Marlowe, W.Va.-area home for work about 90 minutes earlier Monday, DeHaven said. The cause of the fire was accidental, and DeHaven said the cigarette was found in a trash can.

The trailer had extensive smoke and heat damage, but firefighters were able to contain the blaze to the kitchen, DeHaven said.

Advertisement

The fire was reported by a motorist traveling on Interstate 81 who saw smoke coming from the home about 12:49 p.m., according to DeHaven and emergency officials.

Also responding to the blaze were firefighters from Hedgesville, W.Va., and Williamsport.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|