Chambersburg police say witness heard shot, saw man slumped in seat

February 07, 2008|By DON AINES

CHAMBERSBURG. Pa. - Chambersburg police say there was a witness to the shooting death Friday afternoon of a borough man whose body was found Saturday morning in a stolen vehicle in Harrisburg, Pa.

Police on Tuesday issued an arrest warrant for Juan R. Johnson, 24, on a charge of criminal homicide in the death of Gregory Street, 24.

The affidavit of probable cause filed Tuesday with Magisterial District Judge Gary Carter's office states that the owner of the vehicle, Shelby Flythe, parked outside her house at 308 E. Washington St. Friday afternoon and went inside to use the bathroom, leaving her boyfriend Street and Johnson in the Ford Excursion with the engine running.

The affidavit states that an unidentified man heard gunshots and saw Johnson getting out of the back seat of the Excursion. The man also saw Street slumped over in the front passenger seat, police said.


The witness saw the vehicle park before the shooting and recognized Flythe, Street and Johnson.

Flythe told police she came out of her house in time to see Johnson driving away at a high rate of speed.

When the Excursion was found Saturday morning in Harrisburg, Street's body still was in the front passenger seat, police said. Street died of multiple gunshot wounds to the head, according to police and Franklin County Coroner Jeffrey R. Conner.

Johnson, aka Juwan Johnson and "J," remained at large Wednesday. Johnson, who does not have a fixed address, is known to frequent the Chambersburg, Harrisburg and Philadelphia areas, police said. He already had been charged in the motor vehicle theft before the criminal homicide charge was filed.

Street, who had an extensive criminal record, including a five-year prison sentence in South Carolina for assault in 2002, gave police addresses in both Chambersburg and South Carolina in arrests in Chambersburg during the past six months. He was awaiting trial on charges that he threatened people with a gun outside a Chambersburg bar last summer.

The Herald-Mail Articles