Rebels get Cadets' full attention

February 06, 2008|By DAN KAUFFMAN

The South Hagerstown boys basketball team came tantalizingly close to upsetting Frederick in Tuesday's MVAL Piedmont game.

In the end, though, the Rebels had to settle for an 18-point improvement from the first meeting between the two teams.

Chris Jackson -- called on to score with several Rebels in foul trouble -- scored 11 of South's 15 points in the fourth quarter and finished with a game-high 18, but it wasn't enough as the Cadets held on for a 52-49 victory.

Frederick (7-11, 4-2) blasted South 75-54 on Dec. 21. The Cadets had no such luck blowing open Tuesday's game.

The Rebels (7-10, 0-5) trailed 40-34 entering the fourth quarter -- thanks to Frederick's 11-0 run in the third -- but Jackson's 3-pointer with 6:02 left cut the lead to 43-39.


Steve Burnett's transition layup following a South steal made it 43-41, and the Cadets missed three straight foul shots before Jackson -- who had missed two shots in the previous two minutes -- hit a floater to tie the game at 43 with 3:05 left.

David Dawson's three-point play gave Frederick a 46-43 lead with 2:57 left, but Jackson answered with a 3 from the right wing with 2:38 to play.

The Cadets made it 49-46 on a foul shot by Tony Barnes and D.J. Whiten's drive into the lane, but Jackson hit another 3 from the left wing to tie it at 49 with 51 seconds left.

"A couple of our scorers were out in crunch time, so I knew I needed to be a leader and a scorer," Jackson said. "Every good shooter has to keep putting it up whether they're going in or not. That's how you become consistent. I knew time was winding down, and I knew we had to strike fast."

"We'd seen he was hitting his shots, and we wanted to get him the ball in the spots he had a good shot," Rebels coach Kevin Naylor said.

But Frederick scored the game's final three points -- a foul shot by Dawson with 34.9 seconds left, and Barnes' transition layup with 15 seconds left. Shane Santell missed a 17-footer with 25 seconds left, and Burnett's 3 was off the mark in the closing seconds.

"The kids played hard," Naylor said. "We stayed in there and stayed in there. Sometimes, luck's not with you, but we're getting better at the right time of year."

Cory Shank (seven points, 14 rebounds), Alvin Roberson (six points, seven rebounds) and Bryson Bryant all fouled out in the final quarter for South.

"When you have three players in foul trouble, there's not much you can do," Naylor said. "I can't complain about how the bench guys played, but we didn't have our best players on the floor."

Frederick made just 16 of 31 foul shots -- allowing the Rebels to stay close. But South had trouble finishing at the rim, even with two or three looks in a possession. The Rebels made just 18 of 62 shots (29.0 percent) compared to the Cadets' 17 of 43 (39.5 percent).

"We missed a couple layups," Naylor said. "Some bad things happened at the wrong times."

Burnett finished with 10 points for South. Dawson had 17 points, Barnes had 15 and E.J. Logan added 10 for Frederick.

The Herald-Mail Articles