Court briefs

January 31, 2008

Chambersburg man sentenced for bank robbery

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - A Chambersburg man was sentenced Wednesday in Franklin County Court to two to five years in state prison for robbing a Patriot Federal Credit Union branch last year.

Matthew Collins Marks, 35, of 280 S. Second St., pleaded guilty in December to the Nov. 5 holdup of the credit union branch at 140 S. Federal St., court records stated. A man entered the building with a handwritten note demanding cash, then fled on foot, Chambersburg police said.

Police said two witnesses saw Marks within a block of the credit union just before the robbery, which was caught on surveillance video. Marks was identified from the video. A sweat shirt and Yankees baseball cap worn by the robber were found nearby.

Marks was fined $300 by Judge Douglas Herman and was ordered to pay $1,629 in restitution.

Waynesboro man gets probation in child-abuse case

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - A father convicted of physically abusing his toddler son was placed on probation for five years and ordered to pay the child's medical bills.


Douglas Wallace Spicer, 29, of 12255 Pen Mar Road, Waynesboro, Pa., pleaded guilty in December to endangering the welfare of a child, according to court records. Washington Township Police said Spicer's 2-year-old son, Seth, was taken to Waynesboro Hospital on Jan. 24, 2007, with bruises both old and new over much of his body, and bleeding on the brain.

The child was later flown to Hershey (Pa.) Medical Center where a pediatric surgeon reported injuries "consistent with repeated blows to the head," according to the affidavit of probable cause.

The boy's mother, Julie Steudl, 42, told authorities the child had fallen as she was getting him out of a rocking chair, police said. She received a five-year probationary sentence earlier this month, according to court records.

The affidavit stated the couple had withheld food and liquids from the child because Spicer thought the toddler was too heavy. That was also done to save money on diapers, police said.

Earlier medical examinations prior to the Jan. 24 incident showed the boy had flea bites and rashes, police said. Spicer had also declined offers by relatives to take the child to a doctor for previous illnesses and injuries, police said.

The Herald-Mail Articles