Advertisement

CRS called to action more than 10,000 times

January 28, 2008|By MARLO BARNHART

In 2007, Community Rescue Service Inc. (CRS) was dispatched by 911 operations to 10,328 calls.

From the center of operations at 110 Eastern Blvd. in Hagerstown, CRS ambulances responded to 7,820 emergency medical service calls, according to Terry Trovinger, chief financial officer.

The CRS ambulance stationed at the Maugansville Fire Station was dispatched 1,700 times.

With an increase of 26 percent in responses to emergency medical calls in 2007, CRS expanded its coverage by placing an additional ambulance in service at Western Enterprise Fire Station of Hagerstown.

That ambulance serving the western part of Hagerstown ran 808 calls and provided support for the main office and the Maugansville substation.

Advertisement

CRS averaged 860 calls per month, or 28 calls a day, in 2007.

There was an increase of CRS' trained paid staff of Emergency Medical Technicians and Paramedics to 58 supported by 57 volunteer staff who contributed unpaid time to operate six ambulances within Hagerstown and parts of Washington County, Trovinger said.

Of the 10,328 calls run by CRS in 2007, 78 percent of those calls resulted in transports to hospitals. The remaining 22 percent were 911 calls for patient assists or the patient did not require hospital transport.

Respiratory distress, chest pain or other heart problems accounted for 28 percent of medical emergency calls that CRS responded to give medical services.

Personal-injury accidents made up 7 percent of total calls in 2007, Trovinger said.

CRS personnel have noticed a rise in the number of falls - 12 percent of total CRS responses that require medical attention.

CRS provides child seat inspections through the child safety seat program, which is provided free of charge by certified technicians who installed/inspected more than 700 seats in 2007. Approximately 95 percent of inspections found the child safety seats to be improperly installed.

In February, CRS will retire two older ambulances and place in service two new ambulances at a cost of $220,000, Trovinger said.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|