Chambersburg puts Scott on the spot, beats Blue Devils

January 27, 2008|CHRIS CARTER/Staff Correspondent

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. -- The highly anticipated showdown between the Chambersburg frontcourt and Greencastle-Antrim senior Dameatric Scott did not happen Saturday night at the Dunks for Drew doubleheader.

Chambersburg threw everyone a changeup by using a guard rotation to defend the Blue Devils' star forward and it paid off as the No. 7 Trojans held Scott to just two field goals on 23 attempts and beat No. 2 Greencastle 55-45 in front of a standing-room-only crowd.

Chambersburg guards Ryan Borzager and Kavon Bailey shared most of the responsibility guarding the versatile Scott.

"We wanted them to be a nuisance and make (Scott) work for his points," Chambersburg coach Shawn Shreffler said. "We figured he would basically play the perimeter so we just rotated guys."

"It surprised me a lot to see them using guards," said Greencastle coach Garon Gembe. "As soon as I saw it, I thought we would have an advantage. I thought Scott would be able to use his size against them, but I wasn't expecting him to go 2-for-23."


Meanwhile, the Chambersburg big men were as expected. Six-foot-6 forward Armond Perez had a game-high 25 points to go with 11 rebounds, while 6-5 DeVonte Merritt had 13 rebounds and four blocks.

Perez scored 12 points in the fourth quarter, and Chambersburg closed the game on a 16-1 run. The Trojans (10-9) have won three straight after a midseason slump to qualify for the District 3 playoffs.

Merritt played in only his second game since returning from an academic suspension.

"When DeVo wasn't playing, we struggled," Perez said. "He doesn't score a ton of points, but he's such a big presence on defense. We've had a bumpy road, but I think it helped us become a better team."

Chambersburg trailed 19-9 with 3:11 left in the first half when Shreffler called a timeout. From there, the Trojans went on a 14-2 run and took their first lead of the game at 25-23 with 4:47 left in the third quarter.

The game was knotted four times in the fourth quarter -- the last when Perez scored a layup to tie it at 45-45 with 1:50 left. Chambersburg took the lead for good on a pair of free throws by Perez and was helped by two Greencastle technical fouls in the final 20 seconds.

"The technical on the coach didn't help," said Gembe of his foul with 17.6 seconds left. "The turning point was that we just didn't execute down the stretch. We took a couple quick shots and they were by some guys who haven't had a lot of experience taking those shots."

Greencastle missed its last 15 attempts of the game and finished 13-for-58 from the field.

Jordan Gembe, who also was called for a technical foul in the final seconds, led the Blue Devils (19-2) with 23 points. Scott finished with eight.

"This was a great game to prepare us for the postseason," Garon Gembe said. "It felt like a postseason game without postseason consequences."

Borzager had 15 points for Chambersburg, which won despite committing 20 turnovers. The Trojans went 10-for-10 from the foul line in the fourth quarter.

In the first game Saturday, Scotland beat Shippensburg, 62-44.

The Herald-Mail Articles