Advertisement

Braddock Heights home receives historic status plaque

January 27, 2008

FREDERICK, Md. - Frederick residents and property owners John Bekier and Rich Bowell Jr. received a historic plaque from the Frederick County Landmarks Foundation for their property on Maryland Avenue in Braddock Heights.

The house was erected in 1902 and was established as one of the earliest boarding houses for tourists and vacationers visiting the Braddock's amusement and recreational parks.

The house is an excellent example of a Victorian cottage that was popular in Braddock Heights in the early 1900s. The structure has a widow's walk, wrap-around porch and the original carriage house.

Frederick magazine had an article about the home and its renovations in the February 2007 issue. John and Rich enjoy the western views of Middletown Valley and the mountains beyond.

Advertisement

The plaque program recognizes structures more than 100 years old with either historical and/or architectural merit; this includes structures that have been maintained in their original form or have been returned to their original configuration. Furthermore, any existing alterations and additions to the original structure must preserve the architectural integrity of the structure and appear as a logical progressive add-on to the original.

For younger structures, 50 to 99 years old, the foundation offers a vernacular plaque for unusual architectural or historic significance.

The plaque program is a wonderful way to preserve the community and its heritage. To learn more about the program visit: www.frederickcountylandmarksfoundation.org or call 301-668-6088 for a brochure and application. The application fee is $100 and will be returned if a historic plaque is denied.

The foundation is the largest historic preservation organization in the county and is dedicated to saving and preserving Frederick's natural and historic landmarks for future generations.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|