From feasting to fasting

January 08, 2008|By FEDORA COPLEY / Pulse Correspondent

Christmas is a totally indulgent holiday - we get tons of presents, lots of time off from school, and rich, fattening food. And I, being only mortal, love every minute of it.

But this Christmas, I decided that after pumping my body full of delicacies, I should give it a rest. So when I came back from Christmas break, I began fasting.

Day One

Wake up, take a shower - that was all the same. But it was really weird not to eat breakfast or pack lunch. I made some tea instead, and looked ahead at the day with anticipation. Would I have hunger pangs? Would I get dizzy and fall over? It was all terribly exciting in a risk-taking kind of way.

During lunch, I again felt odd not eating when most of my friends were. Luckily, the food was not so amazing as to tempt me to eat it. And I found to my surprise that I wasn't all that hungry. I had a container of lukewarm mint tea I had made at home that morning, and I felt very clean and unsaturated just drinking that. I did feel a little pang of sadness when I refused a goldfish offered by a friend.


When I came home that day, I had to deny myself my usual snack (generally consisting of whatever is within arm's reach). But I was all right watching other people eat. I felt a little above them, actually, as if I was a noble monk, denying myself earthly pleasures.

Day Two

By this time, I wasn't so satisfied with tea. But by this time, I was fairly used to telling myself "no" to food. Also, today I had support from my sister and mom. They, too, had started fasting.

I got through the day easily, but around 4 p.m., hunger overwhelmed me. My sister had made a coffee cake (which was peculiar, I thought, because she was fasting), and its beauty and moistness beckoned to me.

I was very close to saying, "@#!!$ this," and stuffing my face, but I eventually regained control. Just one more day, I thought.

Day Three

I drank juice and thought about dinner that night, when I would finally break my fast. My family had decided to make vegetarian sushi - something light, but still amazingly delicious. So pretty much all day, I thought about dinner.

My sister and I started preparing the meal - steaming rice, slicing carrots, avocados and cucumbers. And before I knew it, I was taste-testing the rice, to see if it was fully cooked. I was eating for the first time in three days, and I had done it unconsciously! I felt a little disappointed. I had wanted it to be a monumental, ceremonial act. Oh well.

After that, I went crazy, and starting sampling all the veggies and much, much more rice. It felt good to not have to restrain myself.

Fasting was a really good experience, though. I realized how much I tend to eat whatever is in front of me, without really thinking about it. And now, I'm starting to do it again. Argh, guess it's time to tell myself "no."

The Herald-Mail Articles