CLEAR SPRING - The Clear Spring Volunteer Fire Department is collecting donations for a family that lost its home and most of its belongings in a fire Christmas morning, Chief Charles Mundey said.
"We got up Christmas morning, and my daughter came out and started opening up her gifts, and the next thing you know, we have nothing," Samuel Chapman said.
The fire started just after 8 a.m. in the family's mobile home at 13560 Cross Creek Drive, Mundey said.
Chapman said the family was using a wood stove, and a crack in the chimney apparently created a draft that caused the rafters to catch on fire. His wife, Teresa, happened to go outside and saw the chimney engulfed in flames, he said.
Chapman got his 13-year-old daughter, Samantha, and their dog outside, then went in to try to salvage their belongings. He managed to throw two of Samantha's new games out of the house, but the rest of the family's belongings, including a PlayStation 2 they had bought for Christmas, were destroyed.