Accused gunman's mother called police

December 21, 2007|By JOSHUA BOWMAN


It was Douglas Wayne Pryor's mother who alerted police after being told that her son had killed his children's mother and was driving to his parents' home, according to court documents released Friday.

Pryor called two people during a violent spree that left his children's mother and a Smithsburg police officer dead, court records show.

Pryor, 29, of 23432 Welty Church Road in Smithsburg, was charged Thursday in the stabbing death of his former girlfriend, Alison Munson, 31, of Halfway, and in the fatal shooting of Smithsburg Police Officer Christopher Shane Nicholson, 25, police said.


Munson was found dead in her Halfway apartment; Nicholson was found lying near his police cruiser in the middle of a field off Welty Church Road. Pryor was arrested after an exchange of gunfire with Washington County Special Response Team members near Ringgold Meeting House.

He is charged with one count of first-degree murder; two counts of second-degree murder; two counts of first-degree assault; two counts of second-degree assault, including assault of a law enforcement officer; two counts of reckless endangerment; and violation of a protective order.

He was being held without bail Friday night.

The court documents released Friday show Pryor both clear-headed and confused in conversations he had with his sister-in-law and an acquaintance Wednesday night after Munson was killed.

Pryor called his sister-in-law, Geri Pryor, and told her he did something stupid. He also asked her to meet him at his parents' house to pick up his children.

When they met in his parents' driveway, he told Geri Pryor he wanted her to have his children, and then showed her a gun and went down the road to kill Nicholson, who was waiting in a driveway at 23403 Welty Church Road, the documents show.

Paul Tiller, who lives at that address, said he heard gunshots outside at about 9:30 p.m. When he looked out his second-story window, he saw a Smithsburg Police cruiser in his driveway, heard several shots and then saw the cruiser speed into an open field.

Pryor also called an acquaintance, Derek Frey, Wednesday night. He had been at Frey's house at about 5 p.m. When Pryor left to take his children to Munson's home, he did not seem upset, Frey said, according to the documents.

Pryor later called Frey and told him, "I took care of her," and asked Frey to meet him at his parents' house. Frey then called Pryor's mother, Jo Ellen Pryor, who called 911 at about 9:30 p.m.Frey said he received two more calls from Pryor that night. In the first, Pryor said, "where should I take her and what should I do...nevermind, I stuffed in her a closet," according to the documents. In the second call, Pryor told Frey he had just shot a police officer and was hiding in Blue Mountain, according to the documents.A witness interviewed at the Halfway Manor apartment complex where Munson lived told police she had seen Munson and her children enter Munson's apartment earlier that night with a man who was driving a dark colored pickup truck.

Shortly afterward, the witness saw the man leave the apartment with Munson's children in the truck, the documents state.

Munson had obtained a protective order against Pryor seven weeks before she died.

A preliminary hearing in the case has been scheduled for Jan. 16, 2008, in Washington County District Court.

The Herald-Mail Articles