Advertisement

Couple homeless following Jefferson Co. fire

December 13, 2007|By DAVE McMILLION

LEETOWN, W.Va. - Three people who were inside a home off Sulphur Springs Road when it caught fire Wednesday afternoon escaped the house, although one man in the house had to be dragged out, a fire official said.

That man suffered some burns and chest pains, although everyone in the house was OK later in the day, according to Ed Smith, chief of the Independent Fire Co.

The 3:32 p.m. fire in the home at 280 Egypt Road started as a result of a grease fire on a stove, Smith said.

When firefighters arrived at the home, the inside was engulfed in flames, Smith said.

Firefighters conducted a "blitz attack" on the fire by entering the house through a garage and moving up a hallway, Smith said.

Advertisement

The garage was saved, but nothing in the house was salvageable, Smith said.

When the grease fire started, someone in the house tried to put it out, but it splattered and then caught a couch and some other items on fire, Smith said.

Smith said grease fires are the most common type of fires officials see in the county. Many people think putting water on a grease fire is an effective way to extinguish it. But many times, it will cause the flames to splatter, Smith said.

The most effective way to put out a grease fire is to place a lid over it, which will snuff it out, Smith said.

Nancy and Dewayne Ramsey lived in the rental home, which is owned by James Fillinger, Smith said.

The American Red Cross arranged a room for the tenants at the Towne House Motor Lodge on East Washington Street in Charles Town, W.Va., Smith said.




Grease fire danger



Grease fires are the most common blazes that firefighters see in Jefferson County, a fire official said. Many people believe the best way to extinguish a grease fire is to pour water on it, but that can cause the flames to splatter. The best way to extinguish a grease fire is to place a lid over it, the official said.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|