Gaels slide into MAIT final

December 01, 2007|By TIM KOELBLE

St. Maria Goretti and Mount Carmel will tangle tonight in the championship game after taking different routes to victory on Friday night in the 25th edition of the Mid-Atlantic Invitation Tournament at the Gael Center.

Goretti (1-0) held off Bishop Guilfoyle (Pa.) in the nightcap 72-63, while an up-tempo Mount Carmel (2-0) defeated Bullis School (0-1) in the opener, 77-66.

The two will square off around 8:15 p.m., following the consolation game at 5 and the non-tournament opener between Chambersburg and St. John's Catholic Prep.

Goretti seniors Kevin Breslin and John Duhring accepted congratulations following the game, then headed straight to the emergency room at Washington County Hospital for some stitches after the two collided going for a loose ball with 4:06 left in the game.


Breslin suffered a deep gash to the left cheekbone, while Duhring was cut under the right eyelid. Neither returned to the game.

"We knew we had some depth on the bench and it paid off," said Goretti coach Cokey Robertson. "Will Murray did a wonderful job in Breslin's place. He was the trigger man against the press and had a good assist at a key point."

Goretti led 55-44 when Breslin and Duhring went down, but extended the lead to 62-50 as Matisse Gaillard, Mitch Belella and Murray worked the floor against Guilfoyle's press. Murray had a nice feed to Stephon Berry for a bucket and Gaillard hit two free throws, a 2-pointer and then a 3 from the top of the key.

"(Matisse) had some high energy at the beginning of the game and then played with some poise down the stretch," said Robertson.

Guilfoyle, with many players just coming out of football season, played as if they had less than two weeks of practice at the outset, committing eight turnovers in the first period.

However, the Gaels couldn't land an early punch and led only 14-7, due largely to Breslin's eight points, six from inside the paint.

Guilfoyle settled down and stayed in the game as Andy Lytle had a nine-point period to cut the Goretti lead to 31-27 at the break.

Again, Bishop Guilfoyle played sloppily in the third period with 10 turnovers, but Goretti took advantage this time as Breslin scored eight points and Duhring seven, each nailing a 3-pointer

"I think it just took us a while to get into the flow of things offensively," said Duhring. "We started getting more open and we finished better in the third period."

The Gaels took a 49-37 lead into a wild-and-wooly fourth period which saw 22 free throws attempted after eight had been taken between the two teams through three periods.

Goretti hit 10-of-10 on the way to a perfect night at the line (14-of-14). Gaillard and Belella each hit four.

Breslin led the Gaels with 24 points, Gaillard added 13, Berry had 12 and Duhring 11. Goretti hit 27 of 53 from the floor and had 12 turnovers while Bishop Guilfoyle's 27 turnovers did not complement its 24-of-44 from the floor.

Logan McDannell had 20 points to lead the Marauders.

In the opener, talented Troy Franklin scorched the nets for 28 points as Mount Carmel's aggressive offensive overtook Bullis with a strong second half.

Franklin popped six 3-pointers and had scoring support from Rummell King's 14 and Stanford McNair's 12.

Warren Flood had 14 points and Nick Petkovich had 12 for Bullis School.

The Herald-Mail Articles