Advertisement

Former Franklin Co. courthouse security guard sentenced, loses job

Chambersburg man charged with indecent assault on boy, 3

Chambersburg man charged with indecent assault on boy, 3

November 29, 2007|By DON AINES

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - A former Franklin County security guard charged with indecent assault involving a 3-year-old boy was placed on the Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition (ARD) program Wednesday in Franklin County Court.

Raymond E. Rotz, 68, of Chambersburg, was placed on the ARD program for 18 months by Judge Carol Van Horn, who also ordered him to undergo a mental health evaluation and any treatment deemed necessary. Rotz will be under the supervision of the Probation Department's sexual offenders officer and can have no contact with either the victim or unsupervised contact with any minor, Van Horn said.

Assistant District Attorney Angela Krom told Van Horn the case against Rotz was delayed several times because of "significant difficulty in locating the guardian of the 3-year-old victim." The boy and his uncle were found within the past week, but the prosecution and defense attorney David S. Keller had already come to an agreement on the probationary program, she said.

Advertisement

Krom also said those witnesses "may be hostile to the commonwealth's prosecution."

In November 2006, a man went to Chambersburg police telling them his 3-year-old nephew said Rotz had touched him inappropriately. Rotz, who lived upstairs from the man and boy, was present when the boy said it, the affidavit of probable cause stated.

Rotz, employed as a part-time security guard by the Sheriff's Office since June 2004, provided police with a statement that he had inappropriately touched the boy, the affidavit stated.

When the first-degree misdemeanor charge was filed against Rotz in January, he was placed on unpaid administrative leave by Sheriff Robert Wollyung. Last week, Rotz returned to work for three days, a move Wollyung said he advised the County Commissioners Office of by e-mail on Nov. 15.

Wollyung said that the conditions of Rotz's probation required that he be terminated from his job because the security guards who operate the metal detectors and X-ray machine are usually unsupervised, although they are not supposed to have physical contact with people going through the metal detectors.

When a "pat down" is required, Wollyung said that is done by a uniformed deputy.

If he completes the ARD program successfully, the charge against Rotz will be dismissed, Van Horn told him.

Wollyung said he decided to allow Rotz back to work because he knew of his impending placement in the ARD program.

"It is my belief that Mr. Rotz's return to active status does not pose a threat or embarrassment to the county as he was not found guilty of any crime," Wollyung wrote in the Nov. 15 e-mail.

"That being said, I was wrong about the embarrassment," Wollyung said Wednesday.

Rotz was the second security guard placed in the ARD program this year. Nasby Bowen, 67, of Chambersburg, was placed in the program in May after he was charged with indecent assault and corruption of a minor in an alleged incident with a young girl.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|