Advertisement

Hagerstown City Council briefs

November 28, 2007|By DAN DEARTH

City OKs nearly $25,000 for park equipment

The Hagerstown City Council on Tuesday approved spending $24,299 to replace outdated play equipment at Wheaton Park.

City records show 90 percent of the cost will be paid by Program Open Space, a state program that awards public money to municipalities to help pay for park improvements, among other things. The remaining 10 percent of the cost will be paid with money from the city's general fund, records show.

Miracle Recreation of Martinsburg, W.Va., submitted the lowest of two bids.




Nearly $800,000 approved to replace waterlines

During its Tuesday meeting, the Hagerstown City Council gave its approval to spend $787,724 for the design phase of a project that involves replacing waterlines from the R.C. Willson Water Treatment Plant to the City of Hagerstown.

Possible funding to pay for the project could come, in part, from the Maryland Department of the Environment, benefit fees and bond proceeds, according to city records.

Advertisement

Hazen and Sawyer of Baltimore was awarded the design contract.




$35,000 earmarked for parking deck elevator repair

The City of Hagerstown will earmark $35,475 from its parking fund reserves to fix the elevator at the North Potomac Street parking deck.

The City Council on Tuesday voted to hire Kone Inc. of Hagerstown to do the job.




Hagerstown firm gets contract to fix roof

Carson Roofing of Hagerstown was awarded a $200,000 contract Tuesday by the City Council to replace the roof on the grandstand at Fairgrounds Park.

Parks and Recreation Director Junior Mason said earlier this week that the roof needs to be replaced because rainwater is leaking through and damaging the underlying structure. The $200,000 cost also includes putting up metal on the north and south sides of the structure to prevent rain from blowing inward.




City annexes land just north of Centre at Hagerstown

The Hagerstown City Council on Tuesday annexed from Washington County about 12.25 acres of land at the intersection of Broadfording and Hollyhock roads, just north of the Centre at Hagerstown.

In a concept plan that was submitted recently to the city, a hotel, eight restaurants and a bank were among the businesses being considered for construction.




Softball Association given OK to install lights

The Hagerstown Softball Association was given permission by the City Council on Tuesday to install lights at Fairgrounds Park's three softball fields so the organization can hold night games.

Last week, representatives from the softball league said they raised about $50,000 to install lights at one of the fields.

Earlier this year, the City Council agreed to earmark roughly $40,000 to run an electrical feed to the fields at Fairgrounds Park from Cleveland Avenue.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|