Advertisement

Fire causes $45,000 damage to log home in Dargan

November 26, 2007|By HEATHER KEELS

DARGAN - A Sunday afternoon fire caused about $45,000 damage to a log structure in Dargan, The Maryland State Fire Marshal's Western Regional Office said.

The Potomac Valley Fire Co. got a call at about 1 p.m. and spent several hours fighting the fire at 2218 Back Road in the southern part of Washington County, Assistant Chief Eric Gray said.

One firefighter was taken to the hospital after a routine check of his pulse and blood pressure caused concern, but he was found to be healthy and released, Gray said.

The occupant, George Hambleton, was not injured, the fire marshal's office said. Gray said he thought neighbors had helped him evacuate.

Advertisement

The fire was started accidentally in the kitchen, where someone was cooking on a wood stove, the fire marshal's office said.

The two-story house is not habitable and the Red Cross is helping the occupant, Gray said. The fire also caused $5,000 damage to the contents of the home, according to the fire marshal's office.

The fire took a long time to put out because the house was built of big logs, which burn hotter and longer than other building materials, Gray said. Firefighters didn't leave the scene until about 6 p.m., he said.

Other responding departments included the Sharpsburg Volunteer Fire Co., the First Hose Company of Boonsboro, the Fairplay Volunteer Fire Co., Boonsboro Ambulance and Rescue, Sharpsburg Area Emergency Medical Services, the Washington County Emergency Rehab Unit, the Shepherdstown (W.Va.) Fire Co., Frederick County Brunswick Co. 5, the Brunswick Volunteer Ambulance Co. and the Washington County Special Operations Team, Gray said.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|