Sexual assault case ordered bound over for court in Pa.

October 26, 2007|By DON AINES

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - The case of a Harrisburg, Pa., cab driver charged with attempted rape was ordered bound over for Franklin County Court following a preliminary hearing Tuesday before Magisterial District Judge David Hawbaker.

Prince Kwaku Boateng, 38, of 1836 Park St., is also charged with attempted sexual assault, simple assault and false imprisonment for the incident that occurred April 30 at the Travel Lodge on Lincoln Way East. His mandatory arraignment is scheduled for Dec. 5.

On the morning of April 30, according to Pennsylvania State Police, a naked woman ran to the office of the hotel and said a man attempted to rape her in a hotel room. Witnesses saw a man drive away in a cab at about the same time, police said.

The woman told police she had taken a bus from New York to Harrisburg, and then hired a cab to bring her to Chambersburg for a court hearing. Upon getting to Chambersburg, the cab driver told the woman he was tired and asked if he could sleep in her hotel room, according to the affidavit of probable cause.


The woman agreed on the condition that he pay half the cost of the room, police said. At about 1:30 a.m. the woman told police the man came up to her as she was sitting in the room.

"You said you were tired. Go to sleep," the woman told him, according to the affidavit.

Shortly after 6 a.m., the woman awoke to find the man on top of her, police said. He took off her pants and tried to wrap a telephone cord around her neck, police said.

The woman broke free and went for the door, police said. The man pulled off her shirt as she struggled to get out of the room, police said.

Boateng later was stopped by Shippensburg police, police said.

The woman was the only person to testify during Tuesday's hearing, Assistant District Attorney Lauren Kearns said. Hawbaker ordered Boateng bound over for court on all the charges, she said.

Boateng was jailed on $100,000 bond after he was taken into custody. He is out on bail, according to court records.

The Herald-Mail Articles