Boy Scout Troop 2 of Hagerstown celebrated 80 years of service to the youth in Washington County at an event Aug. 11 at Washington County Regional Park.
Advancement Chairman John Ewan shared the following information to the audience. Troop 2 started serving Scouts in 1927. The first Scoutmaster was Ernest Nichols, who served for six years. The first Troop Committee members were O. W. Dellinger, the Rev. F. Berry Plummer, M. B. Keener, Philo Statton and E. N. Funkhouser.
There have been nine Scoutmasters, with Harry L. Salvator serving the longest term, 29 years from 1956 to 1984. Six leaders have completed Woodbadge training, which is the highest training available. Nine leaders have received the Silver Beaver award, the highest award a Council may give to a volunteer. There have been 18 Order of the Arrow Vigil members, five Order of the Arrow Distinguished Vigil members and 26 Boy Scouts and leaders who have earned the Religious Emblem for their faith. The troop has produced 100 Eagle Scouts, the highest award in Boy Scouts.