Devils prevail in Colonial showdown

October 21, 2007|By TIM KOELBLE

SHIPPENSBURG, Pa. - When the offense decided to show up and play football with the defense, Greencastle-Antrim began to step up as a team Saturday afternoon.

In a Mid-Penn Colonial showdown, No. 3 Greencastle got the much-needed win, staggering Shippensburg 27-7 and putting a stamp on the postseason playoffs.

"This win puts us right in there," said Greencastle coach Chuck Tininnis. "If we can win our last two games, we've got a good shot at home field."

Greencastle (7-1, 4-1) forced five turnovers, but the offense couldn't take advantage. In the first half, the Blue Devils managed 58 total yards and two first downs, yet found itself tied 7-7 at the break.


Greencastle's Andre McKenzie blocked a punt on Shippensburg's first possession and Jordan Statler fell on the football in the end zone to give the Blue Devils a 7-0 lead.

The Greyhounds (6-2, 3-1) answered with 3:56 left in the first quarter. Jermayne Webber's 10-yard touchdown run capped a 73-yard drive and made it a 7-7 game.

"At halftime we're telling the offense to settle down, and we reset some of their blocking assignments," said Tininnis. "It was all in the blocking we adjusted."

The Blue Devils took the opening kickoff and marched 66 yards in 11 plays to take a 14-7 lead with five minutes elapsed. Dustin Barry gained just enough yardage on a fourth-and-1 to keep the drive alive, and he followed with a 22-yard gallop that set up Brett Meyers' 1-yard plunge.

Early in the fourth quarter, a Shippensburg drive was halted when Adam Ritchey intercepted the Hounds' Craig Van Scyoc in the end zone.

Nearly three minutes later, the defense would be tested again as Shippensburg reached the Blue Devils' 18.

After an unsportsmanlike-conduct penalty on Shippensburg, Webber fumbled and Stephon Walker recovered the ball for the Devils.

Two plays later, Barry took the handoff, started right and nearly went to the ground as he braced his right arm to the turf. He refocused and headed to the left and down the sideline for a 54-yard gain.

"I had a hand on the ground and wasn't going down," said Barry. "I saw the defense on the left side and (Ritchey) led the way."

On the next play, Ritchey rolled out right for an 11-yard score and a 20-7 lead, clearly demoralizing the Shippensburg unit.

The Blue Devils put a deeper hit on the Hounds' morale on their first play following the kickoff.

Rusty Cordell stepped in the line of a Van Scyoc pass, tucked it in at the Greyhounds' 31 and ran to paydirt for the final nail in the coffin.

"Our defense ... they listen to what they are told to do and they play hard," said Tininnis.

Barry finished with 118 yards rushing on 17 carries.

"This is a huge win because it sets the tone for the rest of the year," Barry said. "Hopefully we can clinch home field in the playoffs."

The Blue Devils finish the regular season with home games against Jefferson and West Perry.

The Herald-Mail Articles