Hagerstown woman burned in fire is in good condition

October 16, 2007

A woman who was burned in a house fire Tuesday morning was in good condition Tuesday afternoon at the Washington (D.C.) Hospital Center burn unit, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Darlene Sakalski was melting wax in her kitchen when she was burned, according to a news release from Ed Ernst of the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office.

The fire was reported at about 8:40 a.m. at 11824 Robinwood Drive, the release said.

The fire marshal's office said Sakalski had burns on 9 percent of her face, neck and arms and was flown to the burn unit in Washington.

The house, which is near Hagerstown Community College, is owned by Stephen and Darlene Sakalski, according to state property records.

Don Burger, who lives next door, said that when Darlene Sakalski knocked on his window to tell him about the fire, he got a hose and helped put it out.


Firefighters from Funkstown, Longmeadow, Hagerstown and Smithsburg responded to the call, along with the county's special operations team and Community Rescue Service, the news release said.

The fire caused about $5,000 worth of damage to the contents of the house, the news release said.

? Andrew Schotz and Heather Keels

View Larger Map

The Herald-Mail Articles