Blue Devis turn back JB's pack

October 10, 2007|By CHRIS CARTER / Staff Correspondent

GREENCASTLE, Pa. - The Greencastle-Antrim boys soccer team expected James Buchanan to pack in its defense this time around. So, the No. 3 Blue Devils scored early to send the Rockets packing.

Greencastle scored twice in the first 20 minutes - both goals by senior Evon Wiestling - and the Rockets managed just one shot on goal as they were blanked 3-0 in Mid-Penn Capital action at Kaley Field on Tuesday.

The Blue Devils avenged Sept. 13's 1-0 loss to JB.

"We came out with a lot of intensity because they're our rivals and we wanted to get them back," said Wiestling, who scored in the sixth minute and once again with 20:46 remaining. "I just filled the open spots, was able to get good touches on the ball and put them in."

Wiestling put Greencastle on the board after a touch by Jai Courter sent the ball to Josh Higman at the left of the goal. Higman passed to Wiestling, who was isolated against JB keeper Ryan Lum, and netted it for a 1-0 edge.


Wiestling, one of 12 players recognized for Senior Night at halftime, scored his second goal after a corner kick was deflected to Courter on the right seam. Courter found Wiestling inside the box to up the lead to 2-0.

"Our ball movement was good tonight. It worked really well," said Greencastle coach Chad Divens. "I told the guys that we would need two goals to open (the JB defense) up. One goal and they're still going to pack it in. We needed two to bring them out."

JB's strategy to fall back defensively worked to perfection last month as it won despite being outshot 15-5. The Rockets (8-7, 5-4) tried to duplicate the performance, conceding possession to Greencastle - the Blue Devils held a 20-3 shot advantage, including 9-1 on the goal. But unlike the first meeting, the Blue Devils (12-3-1, 8-2) capitalized on the opportunities.

"The execution of our low-pressure defense hurt us early," said Rockets coach Mike Dent. "That sort of forced us into doing something we're not as comfortable doing. We had to play a high-pressure defense and that made us vulnerable."

The Rockets were just as unsuccessful in their offensive approach, as each of their counter attacks were turned away by the Greencastle defense, which posted its fifth shutout.

"When they're countering, they're coming full speed at us," Divens said. "As a defense, you just have to try hard not to make a mistake that's going to set them up with something."

Greencastle got an insurance goal four minutes into the second half when Mac Frederick headed a Higman throw-in just inside the left goalpost for a 3-0 lead.

The Blue Devils can clinch the Capital crown with wins over Harrisburg and Milton Hersey in its next two contests.

JV: Greencastle, 1-0.

The Herald-Mail Articles