Wildcats slip past Railroaders

October 06, 2007|By LARRY YANOS

BRUNSWICK, Md. - Friday's MVAL Antietam football game between Williamsport and Brunswick had more twists and turns than a mystery novel.

When the final chapter was written, the Wildcats slipped past the Railroaders, 14-13.

But it wasn't easy.

Williamsport's Cortez Boyce scored on a 75-yard punt return with 1:32 remaining in the fourth quarter and Jeff Haney booted the extra point.

The kick proved to be the margin of victory and gave Williamsport its first three-game winning streak since 1999.

After falling behind 14-7, Brunswick delighted its Homecoming crowd when reserve quarterback Jeff Lambright fired a 29-yard touchdown pass to Andrew Simpson with just two seconds remaining in the contest.

Brunswick coach Kevin Lynott decided to go for the two-point conversion and the win but the Williamsport defensive line - led by Adam Cook, Tyler Jones and Kyle Cunningham - smothered Railroaders' running back Dillon Johnikin at the line of scrimmage and the game was over.


"What a great effort," Williamsport coach Adrian Custer said. "Again we made mistakes but, again, we found a way to win. There were many heroes out there tonight."

Unlike last week's 13-12 victory over South Hagerstown, Williamsport had its offense clicking (143 yards rushing and 46 passing), but an interception and two lost fumbles helped keep Brunswick in the contest.

The defense, however, made enough stops to keep the contest close.

The game appeared to be headed for overtime when Boyce fielded a Simpson punt on the 25-yard line, dashed to the left and then back to the right before racing down the field for the go-ahead touchdown.

"It was the first time he has returned a punt all year," Custer said.

It probably won't be the last.

"I give credit to the blocking," Boyce said. "Once I turned the corner on the left side, I thought I had a chance. We played well, made some big plays. The game went back and forth, we knew it would be a tough one."

Williamsport grabbed a 7-0 halftime advantage on Kyle McDannell's 2-yard run in the second quarter, but Brunswick tied the score on Johnikin's 3-yard run in the third - setting up the fourth-quarter fireworks.

"I wasn't surprised they went for the win (at the end of the game)," Custer said. "They moved the ball so quickly down the field and they figured they could get the two-point conversion. We stacked the middle and things worked out. What a great finish."

McDannell led the Williamsport rushing attack with 78 yards on 15 carries, while Mike Russ added 53 yards on 14 carries.

Brunswick starting quarterback Bret Hartle turned in a tremendous effort, completing 10 of 18 passes for 154 yards before leaving the game late in the fourth quarter with a severely sprained ankle.

The Herald-Mail Articles