Warriors settle the score with Wildcats

October 05, 2007|By LARRY YANOS

WILLIAMSPORT - The Boonsboro boys soccer team edged Williamsport 2-1 Thursday, avenging an earlier defeat to the No. 7 Wildcats in the semifinals of the Washington County Tournament.

The Warriors (5-2-1, 1-0-1) struck in the first two minutes of the MVAL Antietam contest as Shane Lowery scored a goal following Jonathan Miller's corner kick.

They added the second, and deciding, score on Keith Welch's first-half goal.

"They were big goals, but give credit to the defense," Boonsboro coach Brad Delauter said. "After we scored those goals, Williamsport put the pressure on us, but we held tough. They actually controlled the second half, but the defense made some big plays. I also thought our passing game was excellent."

Delauter praised the defensive efforts of Steve Kopp, Ryan Barrett and Gavin Master and said Jake Burtner was exceptional in goal.


"He had 11 saves and denied Williamsport scoring opportunities all night long," Delauter said.

During the game, the senior keeper also had a visit from Delauter. Midway through the second half, the coach raced down the sideline for a little chat.

"I just told him to slow down the pace," Delauter said. "There was no big rush to get rid of the ball after their attempts. I thought he played a tremendous game."

The lone Williamsport goal was a penalty kick by Michael Reyes.

Both teams were coming off Tuesday's double-overtime games - Williamsport edged South Carroll 1-0, while Boonsboro settled for a 1-1 tie against Brunswick.

"We were really flat the early part of the first half and that was disappointing because we warmed up real well," Williamsport coach Tim Michael said. "I thought, overall, we did a good job, but those first 10 minutes really hurt."

Michael praised goalkeeper Derek Munro.

"He was a standout. He did a great job of keeping us in the game after the tough start," Michael said. "Offensively, I thought Reyes (who scored his second goal of the season), Jessie Buchman and the midfielders did a nice job."

Williamsport (5-4, 0-1) won the first meeting of the season between the two schools, 3-1.

The Herald-Mail Articles