Rebels finally get a 'W'

October 03, 2007|By JACK HILL III / Staff Correspondent

The South Hagerstown boys soccer team shut out host Grace Academy 3-0 on Tuesday afternoon for their first victory of the season.

"The kids played wonderful," South coach Marc David said. "I can coach all I want. They are the ones that have to play the game. They did a wonderful job. You can't ask for a better group of kids. The thing that was the biggest key was that they played as a team. They played together."

It didn't take long for South (1-6-1) to get on the scoreboard against Grace (10-3). Just eight minutes into the game, Eric Nankeu scored on an assist by Matt Cosgrave.

"I was ready for that goal," Nankeu said. "I am real happy about that. It was a real good game. We were impressive. We played real good. It feels amazing that we got our first win today. We finally came through. Hopefully, we are going to win some more."


Four minutes later, Ben Stone made it 2-0 on another assist by Cosgrave.

The Rebels got their final goal with two minutes remaining in the first half when Johan Mojica scored on an assist by Kenny Stewart.

A couple of the Rebels' senior captains expressed their pleasure after the game.

"All of us showed that we wanted to win today," Ray Kigembe said. "The key to the win today was that everybody was ready to play. Everybody that touched the ball today did something. Congratulations to my teammates."

"Finally, we got in the win column," David Stone said. "We deserved it all year. Watch out for South."

Rebels goalkeeper Chip Rittenhouse made nine saves, while Kenny Frederickson collected 14 saves for the Knights.

"This is our fifth game in eight days," Grace coach Andy Serafini said. "So, I think it caught up to us.

"South High played a good game. Their coaches have done a good job with their team. ... That was their first win and that was a big deal to them. They wanted it more than we did."

The Rebels outshot the Knights, 26-19.

The Herald-Mail Articles