Waynesboro falls short in final minute (9/29)

September 29, 2007|By LARRY YANOS


WAYNESBORO, Pa. - The Waynesboro football team sure didn't play like a loser Friday evening.

The 0-5 Indians battled 4-1 Milton Hershey tooth-and-nail before falling 28-26 when a two-point conversion attempt failed with 48.5 seconds remaining in their Mid-Penn Capital matchup.

"This one hurt. Of course they all hurt," Waynesboro coach Darwin Seiler said. "The kids played their hearts out, yet we come away with another loss. It's very disappointing."

Waynesboro enjoyed a 12-7 halftime lead and a 20-14 advantage after three quarters, but Milton Hershey put two touchdowns on the scoreboard within four minutes of the fourth period - then held off the determined Indians.


Spartans quarterback Joshua Nyarko scored the eventual game-winner on a quarterback sneak from 1-yard out with 3:11 remaining in the game, and Boyd Hardison booted his fourth conversion to secure a 28-20 lead.

But Waynesboro - which got three touchdowns from running back Ian Smith - wasn't finished.

The Indians took the ensuing kickoff at the 20-yard line and marched down the field quickly.

Most of the yardage was eaten up on a 40-yard pass play from quarterback Terrell Rickard to Aaron McKenzie.

Rickard covered the final five yards while running around the right side, but he tried the same maneuver from the left side on the two-point conversion and was tackled by Milton Hershey defensive end Garry Gilliam Jr. two yards shy of the goal line.

"It was a designed play," Seiler said. "We had been playing power football all night, and we tried to lure them into the middle, then go wide. We thought the quarterback could get the corner."

Seiler and the Waynesboro fans were treated to an offensive show by a team which had been shut out two consecutive games.

"We committed to run the I-formation, get off the football and show some power and we did all three," Seiler said. "We piled up yardage, the offensive line stepped up and we did some good things. It just wasn't enough."

Milton Hershey controlled the clock in the first quarter but not the scoreboard.

Waynesboro didn't touch the football until 5:56 remaining in the segment. Smith took a handoff from quarterback Rickard and scampered 65 yards for the first score of the game.

The game then bounced back and forth like a tennis match before Milton Hershey finally prevailed.

The Herald-Mail Articles