Advertisement

Firefighter hospitalized after electric shock at house fire

September 20, 2007|By HEATHER KEELS and JOSHUA BOWMAN

A Maugansville Goodwill Fire Co. firefighter was injured Wednesday night when he was shocked by an electrical current while responding to a house fire in Clear Spring, Washington County Emergency Services director John Latimer said.

The firefighter was taken to Washington County Hospital, where his condition was stable Wednesday night, Latimer said.

No residents were injured in the fire, which started around 10 p.m. in the first block of South Martin Street, Latimer said.

The house sustained extensive fire damage to the first floor and smoke damage to the second floor, Latimer said. The Red Cross was assisting the family, he said.

Firefighters did not know the cause of the fire, but said it started on the first floor, Latimer said.

Jeff Pepple, 36, said he was asleep on the second floor when the power went out and he heard a woman banging on the door, telling him the house was on fire. His girlfriend, Jessica Lewis, and two children, ages 4 and 8, were also in the house. All four people got out safely, Pepple said.

Advertisement

Fire companies from Williamsport, Maugansville, Hagerstown, Longmeadow and Fairplay in Washington County and two companies from Pennsylvania responded to the fire.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|