Miller's mark is more than passing

September 19, 2007|By CHRIS CARTER / Staff Correspondent

BOONSBORO - Boonsboro senior John Miller prefers to be on the passing end of any Warriors goal. But as he found out Tuesday night against South Hagerstown, scoring the ball himself has its upside.

Miller scored twice - including the game-winner with less than a minute remaining - and assisted on a third goal to lead the Warriors to a 3-2 win.

"Personally, I like the assists," said Miller, who upped his season totals to three goals and five assists. "Because if you can make a nice pass to set up a goal, it makes the team look better."

With the game tied at 2-2, Miller took matters into his own hands. He took a throw-in from Eddie McMurtrie at midfield and raced up the left seam, angling toward the goal. He avoided South's Daniel Elder before shooting the ball past goalie Chip Rittenhouse for the clincher with 56 seconds left.


"I got a nice ball from (McMurtrie), made a couple of touches and then I saw the defender," Miller said. "I was about to cut it short, but I knew I had to get it off."

A diving Rittenhouse was no match for the rising shot, which stuck in the back right corner of the net to allow the Warriors to escape with the win against the winless Rebels.

"I didn't want it to come down to that, but I was impressed because the boys played well," said Boonsboro coach Brad Delauter. "They're definitely coached to play in the last five minutes of games and that's what it took in this one."

The Warriors (3-2) scored twice on corner kicks in the first half to take a 2-0 lead into halftime. In the 24th minute, Miller crossed a corner in front of the goal where it was headed by Lionel Moser off the hands of Rittenhouse.

Just over a minute later, Miller headed a McMurtrie corner into the net to make it 2-0.

"We go over corner kicks a good bit in practice," Delauter said. "We have several different scenarios that we can score on, or at least create opportunities from the corner."

Boonsboro held a 5-1 edge in corner kicks, but that didn't demoralize South. The Rebels (0-5) came out firing to open the second half and pulled the score to 2-1 on Erik Niku's goal in the 46th minute.

Niku, who missed the first two games of the season, scored again in the 73rd minute to knot the game at 2-2.

"It was getting a little questionable after halftime the way (South) came out and pressured the ball," Delauter said. "That's when we realized, 'Hey, we have to win this game.'"

Miller made sure of it to spoil the Rebels' upset bid.

"We never show up and expect to lose," said South coach Marc David. "When we scored the second goal, I really thought we were going to win. But there wasn't a time from the opening whistle that I thought we couldn't win."

JV: South, 5-1.

The Herald-Mail Articles