Nine Washington County Public Schools students and two local private school students were among 800 students named finalists and semifinalists in Maryland's Distinguished Scholar Recognition ceremony Saturday in Reitz Arena on the campus of Loyola College in Baltimore, according to a Maryland Higher Education Commission press release.
The recognition program honors Maryland high school seniors who have met the stringent requirements of the Distinguished Scholar Program.
The daylong event featured performances and exhibits by high school students, workshops on financial aid, opportunities for students to learn about Maryland colleges and universities, and a recognition ceremony.
Finalists from Washington County are:
· David E. Lehman of Boonsboro High School
· David Kurz of Smithsburg High School
· Brennen P. Baylor, Blaine A. Ford and Julia S. Friedrich, all of Boonsboro High School
· Meghan Dudley of North Hagerstown High School
· Laura E. Baldasarre of Smithsburg High School