Advertisement

Woman, children displaced by fire for second time

September 07, 2007|By DON AINES

WAYNESBORO, Pa. - A woman and her children who were burned out of their mobile home last month were displaced again by a Friday morning apartment fire, Waynesboro Fire Chief Ron Flegel said.

The 7:13 a.m. incident first was dispatched as a fire with entrapment in an apartment over Arturo's Pizzeria & Restaurant at 5261 Buchanan Trail East, Flegel said. Jessica Kromer and her two children, however, had not spent the night in the apartment, Flegel said.

The fire was caused by an apparent electrical malfunction in a light fixture in a bedroom closet, Flegel said. The bedroom was burned out and the rest of the apartment had significant water and smoke damage, he said.

A second apartment on the west side of the building sustained little damage, and there was "minimal" water damage to the restaurant downstairs, he said.

Advertisement

Kromer was out of town Thursday night and her children were staying at their grandparents' home at the time of the fire, Flegel said.

"She was just in the process of moving in," Flegel said. "There were just a few pieces of furniture in the apartment."

About 40 firefighters were at the scene, with personnel from several Franklin County and Washington County fire companies assisting, Flegel said. The last units cleared the scene at 11:26 a.m., he said.

On Aug. 2, Kromer had been living in a mobile home she rented with Cody Aughinbaugh on Green Lane in the Beartown area of Washington Township that was destroyed by fire. Officials said that fire also appeared to have started in a bedroom.

Aughinbaugh and Kromer lost all of their possessions in that fire, Steve Swope of the Blue Ridge Fire and Rescue Squad said at the time.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|