Court briefs

August 31, 2007|By ERIN JULIUS

Man sentenced for exposing himself

A Hagerstown man pleaded guilty Thursday morning in Washington County Circuit Court to indecent exposure.

Richard David Hurst, 33, of 9 S. Burhans Blvd., was sentenced to three years in prison, with all but 15 months suspended, by Washington County Circuit Judge Donald E. Beachley. Beachley said he took into account six prior criminal offenses in determining Hurst's sentence.

Hurst had his pants around his ankles and was exposing himself to passing motorists in the first block of South Burhans Boulevard March 13, Assistant State's Attorney Viki Pauler said Thursday during a statement of facts.

Hurst lives next to Central City Liquors, and was drinking and dancing with his girlfriend when the two started taking their clothes off, Assistant Public Defender Charles B. Bailey said.


At some point, Hurst's girlfriend locked him out of the house and wouldn't let him back in, Bailey said.

"Why didn't you go hide yourself somewhere," Beachley asked Hurst.

Beachley called the crime "obnoxious," especially if children witnessed it, he said.

Inmate sentenced on new charges

A man who was serving a sentence at the Maryland Correctional Training Center pleaded guilty Thursday in Washington County Circuit Court to first-degree escape.

Nick Tony Swan, 34, was sentenced to five years in prison, with credit for 108 days already served.

Swan was an MCTC inmate when he left his work-release job at Fountain Head Country Club without permission in April 2006, according to court documents.

Court records show Swan was supposed to be released Feb. 10, 2007.

Swan also pleaded guilty Thursday to second-degree assault and fleeing and eluding in connection with a June 12, 2006, incident in which a stolen vehicle that he was driving struck a police vehicle, according to court records.

During a chase, Swan allegedly led police from The Terrace to Interstate 81 in Pennsylvania, where the stolen vehicle allegedly reached speeds of about 100 mph, according to a charging document.

Swan was sentenced to seven years on the assault charge and one year on the fleeing-and-eluding count. That sentence was suspended.

Man sentenced on assault charges

A Washington, D.C., man charged with attempted first-degree murder and other crimes in connection with an April 28 hit and run pleaded guilty Thursday in Washington County Circuit Court to two counts of second-degree assault.

Michael Andrew King, 20, was sentenced to 20 years for the two charges, with all but five years suspended.

On April 28, Bruce Herbert was in the area of Washington Gardens Apartments, according to court documents. A man known as "Mack" pointed a black powder pistol at him and told Herbert to give him his money, according to documents. Herbert handed over $5, then started running. While he was in the Security Road area, Herbert saw a white Mercury Cougar driven by "Mack" coming at him, officers alleged in charging documents.

The vehicle ran over Herbert, who couldn't remember anything afterward. Herbert was treated for a fractured skull, bruising and swelling of the brain, and several cuts, according to documents.

The Herald-Mail Articles