Advertisement

Electrical cord, matches cause pair of home fires

August 21, 2007|By HEATHER KEELS

Household mishaps led to small fires at two Washington County homes on Sunday, the Maryland State Fire Marshal reported.

An electrical cord on a toaster oven sparked a fire at a town house in the 18300 block of Roycroft Drive in Hagerstown at about 8:30 p.m., Fire Marshal's Office spokesman Jason Mowbray said.

Maugansville, Long Meadow and a Pennsylvania fire department responded and had the fire under control within five minutes. The fire caused about $1,500 damage to the toaster oven, stove and kitchen counter.

Earlier Sunday, hot matches discarded in a trash can sparked a fire at a house in the 100 block of Baptist Road in Hancock, Mowbray said.

Advertisement

Hancock, Clear Spring, Morgan County, W.Va., and Little Orleans, Md., fire departments responded, and the fire was brought under control within five minutes.

That fire caused about $500 in damages.

Both fires were discovered by the occupants and did not cause any injuries.

Mowbray said matches can cause fires when they are discarded and allowed to smolder in a flammable environment.

"It does happen," he said. "It's not something we see every day."

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|