Advertisement

Blaze caused by torch damages mobile home

August 14, 2007|by MARLO BARNHART

FUNKSTOWN - Kendra Springer was lucky she hadn't moved her personal belongings into a mobile home her father and others were working on for her and her husband when it burned Saturday evening.

One man had minor burns to his left arm in a fire that gutted half of the structure on trailer lot No. 13 in Antietam Village along Antietam Creek on West Poplar Street.

According to Deputy Maryland State Fire Marshal Ed Ernst, the injured man was treated at the scene of the 6:26 p.m. fire.

Two men were using a torch to do plumbing work when the fire erupted. The fire, which was caused by the pipe-soldering torch, has been ruled accidental, Ernst said.

Advertisement

"We're going to tear it down," said Melvin Springer, Kendra's father. "The rear bedroom, a bathroom and another bedroom were burned."

Contacted by telephone Monday, Melvin Springer said his daughter, who was planning to move into the mobile home with her new husband, will be staying with them until they find another place to live.

About 25 firefighters from Funkstown, Hagerstown and Halfway put out the fire within minutes of arriving, but not in time to save the structure.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|