Advertisement

One hurt when Funkstown trailer burns

August 12, 2007|By PEPPER BALLARD

FUNKSTOWN - A man sustained minor burns to his left arm in a fire that gutted half a trailer in Funkstown Saturday evening, according to Funkstown Volunteer Fire Co. Deputy Chief Dave Fraley.

Two men were using a torch to do plumbing work at the 27 W. Poplar St. trailer when a fire erupted shortly before 7 p.m., he said.

Fraley said the exact cause of the fire was to be determined by a state fire marshal.

One of the men who was doing repair work sustained minor burns to his left arm and was being evaluated at the scene by Community Rescue Service personnel.

The trailer was not occupied at the time, but the two men were fixing the trailer for someone to move in there, Fraley said.

Advertisement

No other trailers in Copper Kettle Trailer Park were damaged by the fire, he said.

Fraley said firefighters at the nearby fire station noticed smoke from the fire and arrived on the scene before the call was dispatched.

About 30 firefighters from Funkstown, Hagerstown and Halfway put the fire out within minutes of arriving on the scene, but not within time to save the structure, which was burnt to the frame on one side.

"The biggest thing with a trailer fire is the propane gas that's used in them. When a trailer lights up, it goes," he said. "We're lucky no one was involved and it wasn't late at night when people are sleeping."

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|