Blast from the Past

August 01, 2007

Week of July 29, 1957

There were thrills and spills aplenty at the Hagerstown Speedway yesterday afternoon when promoter Bud Messner presented another action-packed program of jalopy stock car races.

A large crowd of fans, including 2,000 paid admissions, was on hand for the exciting five-race card at the Route 40 track. There was never a dull moment during the entertainment, which was highlighted by numerous crashes. Fortunately, none of the drivers involved in the mishaps were seriously injured.

At a training session in Martinsburg (W.Va.), Williamsport Fire Department and Ambulance Club representatives learned what to do if a jet plane should be wrecked.

The 167th Fighter Interceptor Squadron of the Air National Guard, which has a base at Martinsburg, and the F-864 Mobile Training Department of the U.S. Air Force staged the class at the high school building and airport at Martinsburg.


The training showed how to proceed if a jet plane falls or is wrecked, and how to remove the pilot without suffering injury or incurring further injury on the pilot. The instructors pointed to the dangers involved in this rescue work without training in procedures.

A demonstration was given at the airport of a blazing fuselage that was extinguished by foam.

Civilian personnel from fire companies in the Martinsburg area had requested knowledge of techniques in case of jet plane crashes, in view of the large number of jet trainers stationed at Martinsburg.

Someone made off with an outside toilet building along the Raven Rock Road above Smithsburg.

The owner said the building, just off the road and some distance from the house, must have been hauled away, as there was evidence of a truck having been used to transport it, and there must have been more than one person involved in the theft.

The owners were away on Saturday night and found the building missing when they returned Sunday. The police are checking.

Week of July 29, 1982

The bargaining unit for the Hagerstown Police Department's 75 rank-and-file officers met with its city counterpart for five hours yesterday, but they didn't reach a contract settlement.

"They have our latest proposal," said Richard Moats, chairman of the Fraternal Order of Police bargaining unit. "They want a couple of days to go over it. We threw some figures back and forth. As far as I'm concerned, we could have settled last week. The men are getting a little hyper. They want a contract and they're getting tired of not knowing."

Police are still working under a three-year pact which expired July 1.

A capacity crowd turned out to hear the swinging, big band sounds of the Glenn Miller Orchestra at The Maryland Theatre last night. All 1,403 seats were filled, and profits from the two-hour show, which was sponsored by radio station WJEJ/WWMD, will go to the theater.

"I'm confident we cleared $5,000 - which is wonderful," said theater executive director Michael Harsh. "We keep the profits, and that gets plowed right back into the theater."

- Compiled by Kelly Moreno

The Herald-Mail Articles