Advertisement

Loose signal wire causes power outage

July 27, 2007|By ANDREW SCHOTZ

About 450 Hagerstown customers lost their electricity and a city employee was taken to the hospital Thursday afternoon after a wire came loose and sparked, a city official said.

About 1 p.m., at Wilson Boulevard and Oak Street, a de-energized signal wire came loose as an employee in the city's public works signal department was working, said Mike Spiker, Hagerstown's director of utilities.

The employee didn't touch the wire, but there was "a ball of fire," so the employee was checked out at the hospital as a precaution, Spiker said.

Power in the area went out, but the problem was repaired and electricity restored by about 2:20 p.m., Spiker said.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|