HAGERSTOWN - Two men who claim they suffered permanent injury after eating french fries saturated in oven cleaner at a Hagerstown Suns game settled out of court with Big Game Maryland LLC Monday morning after a jury had been impaneled to hear their case.
The terms of the settlement were confidential.
Stephen Parrotte and his wife, Regina Parrotte, filed a lawsuit in March 2006 in Washington County Circuit Court.
The couple claimed Stephen Parrotte suffered "serious, painful and permanent injuries to his mouth, throat and digestive tract" after he ate oven-cleaner-topped fries during a home game in 2003.
The suit asked for a judgment of $950,000 in compensatory damages and $250,000 for the damage the incident caused their marriage.
Brian L. Marquiss also filed a lawsuit in March 2006. Marquiss claimed he became violently ill after eating fries that had been drenched in caustic lye oven cleaner. He suffered permanent injury to his digestive tract and vocal chords, and has an increased risk of cancer, Marquiss claimed.