HEDGESVILLE, W.Va. - A Brunswick, Md., woman was in critical condition Monday after most of her body was burned Sunday night in a flash fire fueled by a propane leak in a camper trailer in Morgan County, hospital and fire officials said.
Nichole Apolinares was being treated at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, her uncle, Roger Robertson, confirmed.
"It could go either way," Robertson said of his niece's medical condition.
Apolinares received burns to about 80 percent of her body when she attempted to light a propane-fueled cooking stove about 10 p.m. in the camper at Sleepy Creek on the Potomac campground off River Road, Robertson said.
According to Robertson, 62, the sudden flash of flames burned his 28-year-old niece's clothes off as she stood in front of the stove preparing to fry bacon.
"Everything went flying," including an object that struck him in the head, said Robertson, who was taken to City Hospital to be examined after being dazed by the blow.