Dream machines on display in Waynesboro

June 24, 2007|by MARLO BARNHART

WAYNESBORO, PA. - Back in 1964, Wayne Spencer bought his dream car - a Pontiac GTO.

Shortly after the memorable purchase, Spencer went into the military and he had to have his beloved car stored.

"I used to start it from time to time while it was stored," said his wife, Joanne Spencer.

While the car never left his hands, the Spencers only recently had the car restored. The Smithsburg couple's pride and joy was on display Saturday at the second annual Mainstreet Waynesboro Inc. Car and Truck Show along with dozens of others.

The show was open to all vehicles made through 1981.

Regina and Tim Hull came from Blue Ridge Summit, Pa., in their 1966 Ford Mustang. It was its first appearance at the show.

"We bought it eight years ago and restored it," Regina Hull said. But she quickly added that the Mustang doesn't just go to shows - her husband drives it regularly.


Tim Hull said he has loved classic cars since he was 7.

"I just love it," he said of his Mustang. "It's been a lot of time and money, but worth it."

When they weren't showing off their GTO, Wayne and Joanne Spencer walked around the show a couple of times so they could look at other people's cars.

"It's a nice show," Joanne Spencer said. "We came last year, but didn't have the car with us."

For those who weren't there for the cars, there was food, good company and even jitterbugging in the streets.

The day dawned clear and bright, but rather chilly, said Herb Arm, president-elect of the Waynesboro Lions Club. For the first time, the club set up a stand to sell cold drinks, with all proceeds going to Lions Club vision charities.

"We were worried for a while that no one would want cold drinks," Arm said.

By midday, the sun was hot and drinks were selling briskly.

Situated in Waynesboro Town Square, the event began Saturday at 9 a.m. and continued until 4 p.m.

A breakfast, dinner and sock hop were scheduled at the Elks Club. Vendors and music were scattered along Main Street, which was closed to traffic from Grant to Broad streets throughout the day.

The Herald-Mail Articles